Skip to content
Earthenware plate with blue and white decoration by The Bristol Pottery
1956 of an earlier 1840 pattern.
Front of plate has floral border with gadrooned edges around the rim with a maritime scene of the Avon Gorge in the tondo.
Underside has printed maker's mark of "BRISTOL SCENES / REPRODUCTION / BY / THE BRISTOL POTTERY / ENGLAND / FOUNDED 1652 / "AVON GORGE"
POUNTNEY & CO
Poutneys Bristol pottery wear produced in around 1960, this pattern is a reproduction of an earlier Bristol Pottery transfer print C1830 from the Bristol views series
The Bristol Pottery was established in 1784 when Joseph Ring took over an old delftware pottery factory. Throughout the company's 200 year history, the two principal personalities were John Decimus Pountney (1813 to 1852) and Thomas Bertram Johnston (1884 to 1938). Pountney, who assumed overall control in 1816, made the most notable individual contribution to the company. Well known in civic life, he became lord mayor in 1847. High quality transfer-printed wares were also produced, in particular the blue and white services depicting Bristol and river Thames scenes. Pountney’s death heralded a period of decline.
Then, in 1884, the bankrupt business was rescued by Thomas Bertram Johnston, the nephew of one of the previous owners. In 1905 he built a new factory with state of the art technology next and incorporated hand painted decoration which saw success for the company until the decline caused by WWII and the factory ceased operation in 1969.
Collections that contain Plate, Avon Gorge:
Petals' items are tagged with: